Wednesday, February 11, 2009

GOING THROUGH OR RECOVERING FROM DIVORCE .. DO YOU FEEL HOPEFUL OR HOPELESS?

After my divorce, I didn’t feel hopeless. After the initial shock had worn off, I had hope that I would find a brand new husband who would make my life complete.

I spent several years running around looking for a replacement husband. Frequently I would end up in bars. Even after the lights went on at closing time, I was looking around for someone to take me out to dinner the next weekend, with marriage in mind. Looking back now, I’m guessing that no one else in the bar at closing time was looking for marriage material!

At first it was fun, but as time went on it wasn’t fun anymore. I would come home from dates feeling alone, empty, rejected and desperate. When I realized the situation was hopeless – and probably I was hopeless – I knew I needed help.

My boss at the time saw I was spinning out of control and told me about Jesus Christ and suggested I visit his church. Finally after accepting Christ at a Billy Graham Crusade, I went to a nurture class for new believers. I learned in that class about the hope of the Bible. The hope of the Bible is not like I hope I win the Lotto or I hope I get the biggest piece of pizza. The hope of the Bible is a blessed assurance. It’s hope in God’s promises. Promises such as:

Hebrews 13:5 “Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.” So when things don’t go as I want them to, I know that He is with me and has not forsaken me.

Romans 8:28: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” I have the hope that He is working things to my good – even though I can’t see it.

LAMENTATIONS 3:23-25 “Great is his faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each day. I say to myself, "The Lord is my inheritance; Therefore, I will hope in him.” I’m grateful to know His mercies begin afresh each day! I don’t have to carry around yesterday’s baggage.

Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.” God has a plan for my life. He wants to prosper me and give me hope and a future.

Romans 15:13 "May the God of hope fill you will all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."
We may OVERFLOW with hope. Don’t you love that!!

Isaiah 40:28-31 “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

How can these verses impact your life? Will you remember to call on God’s promises when hope begins to seem lost? Will you allow God to renew your strength so you can soar like an eagle and overflow with hope? I pray you will.

No comments: